Keep your home and your valuables protected with a few tips from our crime prevention experts.
1. Lighting is crucial. A well lit exterior, illuminating all doors and accessible windows, can go a long way in deterring burglaries.
2. Lighting inside is just as important.
3. Motion detector lights are an efficient and inexpensive way to light the exterior of your home.
4. Never post on Facebook or any social media site that you are going on vacation or will be away from your house for an extended period of time. This is a perfect opportunity for burglars to find out if you are home or not.
5. Do not let newspapers or mail pile up when you are away. Have somebody you trust collect these items for you on a daily basis.
6. Keep a spare key with a trusted neighbor; don’t hide it somewhere outside.
7. Call the police and request they keep an eye on your property while you are away.
8. Check that all your locks on doors and windows are functioning properly.
9. Make friends with your neighbors and take turns watching over each other’s homes while one of you is away.
10. Install an alarm system for greater peace of mind.
11. Make sure your garage is closed and locked at all times. Cover your garage windows so nobody can see inside.
12. Think like a burglar – Would you target your house? How easy would it be for you to get into your home?